A Little Rant About Patriotism

3:31 PM Nina S. Gooden 0 Comments


I'm a pretty patriotic person. I imagine it's because a good chunk of my family is military and I was a military brat growing up, but it really irks me when I hear people complaining about America and how messed up this country is. Yes, we have problems just like any other country. Maybe you haven't been overseas lately, it's not all peaches and cream in other places.

I feel like a lot of people completely take for granted the fact that they are allowed to have such opinions. That they are allowed to disagree and express themselves here. There is no shortage of groups and people who feel the same way you do and you can all get in a circle and blast one another with your opinions. But that doesn't mean you have to force them on other people. It doesn't mean that there is only one "right" answer, and you've got it.

Instead of sitting around and complaining about how "awful" America is, why don't you do something to help the situation? Volunteer, start a petition, write to your Senator. Complaining without any attempt to better the situation is just annoying and a waste of my time. Better yet, if you hate America so much, why don't you leave? We really don't need any more dead weight hanging around, so if you're so sure this is a shitty place, give up your citizenship and move somewhere else. I don't want to hear it.

0 comments: