When Perserverance Not Only Pays Off....It Pays Well.

8:49 PM Nina S. Gooden 0 Comments

Hi guys!

You guys know I was pretty bummed a couple days ago. I had a submission that I really loved be rejected by my "dream" publisher and it was a tough pill to swallow. Lucky for me, I did a lot of research before I fell in love with this publisher. All of the reasons I wanted to work with them came to light and I wasn't disappointed.

Liquid Silver was one of the first publishers I ever submitted to. Even though I ultimately limped away with not one or two, but three rejection letters, I was desperately in love with their Acquisitions Director, Tracy West. Now, I don't think Tracy does ALL of the reading for Liquid Silver (that would be impossible), but as far as I know, she handles the entire process afterward. She's the person who sends you your acceptance/rejection letters but she always adds a little...I don't even know. There is something about her and Liquid Silver that just makes rejection...softer. It feels less like a business (and let's be real, publishing is a business) and more like having family read your books. I've never submitted to them without feeling as if I walked away with something more than what I started with, even if it wasn't a contract.

Anyhow, back to the point I'm trying to make. A couple of days ago, I got a rejection from this wonderful company. They liked my writing but had some problems with the story. They said they would be happy to look at it again after some revisions, but it wasn't stellar as is. After about an hour (okay, so it was probably closer to two), I decided to sit down with my Beta and work. Hard. We ironed out what they asked us to in a marathon session and I resubmitted.

And I got the offer email!

To say I'm happy would be an extreme understatement. I've wanted to be a part of this business since I was eleven. Never give up, guys. If you want something badly enough, there is always, always a way to get it.




The cute little GIF on my post is from this artist whose work reminds me of Cooking Mama! http://shinukoto-dei.deviantart.com/
"Happy Dance." Graphic. Shinukoto Dei. Osaka: DeviantArt, 2009-2011. Web. 21 Sep 2011. <http://shinukoto-dei.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d1yc9c2>.

0 comments: