Eating healthy.

1:59 PM Nina S. Gooden 0 Comments

Click the picture to see the text better. It's worth a look-see!



This post is going to be a little preachy. I got halfway through writing it before I realized I was going in that direction. I apologize to anyone who's like me and skims posts like this with a disgruntled expression on their face! Kee.

  Like many people, my husband and I have known that our diets are crap for a long time. We've done the "little" things: cutting out excess sugars, watching the fat content of our meals, minding how much process foods we take in. We've done these things, not with the mindset of losing weight, but more as a health consideration. Neither of us have the best health (though my chronic issues are much worse than his general wellness), and we've been very much aware of how each Mcnugget we shove into our faces affects our future and current quality of life. We know this....but damnit, double cheeseburgers are cheap and tasty.

We've been getting newsletters and keeping our ears to "food health news" since we learned what pink slime is. If you don't know, I would suggest at least doing a little search. I won't go into details, but after that Tay and I were particularly concerned with the processing and wording of our food. It's so easy for companies to spin certain ingredients and contents, and we (because we trust our government and the various checks and balances these products are SUPPOSED to go through)
We've always checked our labels, but things like "maltodextrin" and "silicon dioxide" didn't phase us.

It wasn't until we started googling these strange additives that we learned how "eating healthy" could still be damaging our bodies.

Now, don't get me wrong. If you're cooking at home, no matter what you're making, chances are you're doing better than if you were chowing down fast food three times a day like we were. But still, some of these chemicals can be just as harmful.

So. The hubs and I decided that we're going to take the next step. We're going to cut out these chemicals altogether. We're going to start eating meat without fillers, and foods without ingredients we can't say. I'm abso-fucking-lutely positive it's going to be a struggle...but in the end, I think the improvements in our health will be worth it.


My art choice today is by the wonderfully talented Jimmy Xu. He made it for a class assignment and it is now gracing my desktop as my background. Not only is it colorful and pretty much made out of awesome, it sort of serves as a motivational poster for me right now.

If you'd like to see more from Jimmy, here is his profile on DeviantArt: ArtMagix!


Xu, Jimmy. Journey of Eating. 2010. DeviantArt, Canada. Web. 1 Jan 2013. <http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=§ion=&global=1&q=eating healthy

0 comments: