An Editor.

12:48 PM Nina S. Gooden 0 Comments



If you had asked me just a few months ago about what I was doing with my life, I would have immediately responded that I was writing. That is what I have always done and what I always saw myself doing. However, I didn't realize that while I was writing I was building the foundation for a career.

Like many other writers when I first started putting pen to paper, I sucked. Of course I sucked, there are many different rules and facets to writing that you just don't know when you first start. Sure, you read a lot and you see the punctuation, grammar, and syntax spread out before you, but that's not the same as starting from scratch and finding out where those things go. So, my writing journey actually began with editing.

I poured myself into the references sections of the libraries I visited. I checked out books on the comma and the semicolon. And as I was learning to write and build stories I was also learning to become a reputable source of story knowledge. I will go into my whole resume, I worked as an editor as a means to supplement my writing ambitions. And while I wasn't looking what had begun as a means to an end... became a second passion. Perhaps even a stronger passion.

I still plan to write. This blog will go through some changes, but it will still be about my journey as a writer. However, that journey has taken an unforeseen turn and now I am officially an editor. I had done freelance editing in the past, but this is now the start of a new career. Will I be able to juggle both? Only time will tell.

0 comments: